Thursday, January 15, 2009

Handmade Bicycle Show


These are exciting times, no matter what you may be hearing. Remember, the value we place on things boils down to an idea that human beings had. Once upon a time, if you had something I needed, and I had something you needed, we traded. That evolved into me trading you something that I (or we) think has value, for your goods or services. Then, I didn't even have to have that something, I could borrow, on credit, something that I (or we) think has value, and pay you for your good or services with that. This is all well and good, but ultimately, 'value' is an idea. 401k's, mutual funds, large houses or small, Mercedes or Yugo's...stuff has an idea of value, not a tangible value. I completely recognize this is a drastic simplification, and my perspective. However, it does keep things in check for me...

For the past month so, the October Family has been working to plan the booth for the North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS www.handmadebicycleshow.com) at the end of February. The group has batted around ideas, suggestions, giggles, diversionary stories, and even busted out some arts and crafts. October Hand Made is amazingly excited to be going to Indianapolis. We will stand next to our peers, our mentors, our role models, and those who are so good at their craft that we get uncomfortable in their presence... But we'll be there, proud of our work, our ideals, our vision. We will be there and that in and of itself has a 'value' worth more than the price of admission.

It 'costs' to do things today, but I like to look at the value of things as the impact they have on my life. This journey costs so little in comparison to the value that it has...

Reflect on you idea of value, and remember, dreams are free, but so immensly valuable.
Andrew

Current Playlist:
God is an Astronaut "Far from Refuge"
Mogwai "The Hawk is Howling"
Agraceful "The Great I Am"
Murder By Death "In Bocca al Lupo"

No comments:

Post a Comment